Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost . . .

and Found!

When we last saw our heroine, she was agonizing about shoes and secretly worrying about not knowing French.  As it turned out, she had to deal with both issues and neither kept her from having a fabulous time!

I just finished Rachel Friedman's wonderful book, The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost, about discovering herself through travel.  It touched me in so many ways.  I've been to Ireland.  My trip to Australia was emotionally life-saving.  I studied South American cultures as an undergraduate and could pronounce the place names while reading.  Her book has inspired me finally to write about how I spent the month of June in France.

What did I learn in France?
*I want to be an artist when I grow up.
*The French are wonderfully polite people, it helps to know what is important and act accordingly.
*Most French people DO NOT speak English.  After all, why should they?  But if you use the magical phrases:  "Je ne parle pas Francais," followed by "Parlez-vous Anglais?" they will try to muddle through with you!
*Coca Cola in France tastes better than any Coke I have tasted in this country for 30 years (or whenever they decided to use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar).  I drank a lot of it!
*Sometimes you just have to ignore fashion and wear the Reeboks.

We leave our heroine searching frantically for her camera.  When found, the posts on France will have lots of beautiful, colorful images!

2 comments:

meleen said...

oh i can't wait to relive france with your photos!!!

miss you!
meleen

Elyse said...

our heroine can do it, i know she can ... i will stay tuned!

xo
elyse