Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday Musings



Since the beginning of January, I have been attending a Monday morning yoga class.  This yoga class is a surprise every time.  Today was no different.

The teacher asked us to find an intention, something that spoke to us now.  My mind was a blank, so I just continued with the poses and figured something would come to me.

In the middle of Proud Warrior, which takes a lot of concentration for me to get the arms, legs, stomach, head & neck right, it came to me that my life is about FRIENDSHIP.  Rather apropos.  For me, proud warrior is a very feminine pose.  And most of my friends are women.

Last January spending 4 months in California was really mostly about being near my friends.  Yes, the weather was milder than New England.  Yes, it was fun to see if I could find a place to live where I didn't need a car.  And yes, I got to see my family (and go to Disneyland) more than when I am home.  But mostly it was about being with friends and feeling valued by them.

And during yoga class I was reminded that I am not alone.  Sometimes my life here in New England feels a little lonely.  And it's not like I don't love to spend time by myself.  It's just hardly anyone calls me up to do lunch, and that's always been a hallmark of friendship for me.  Still I have an amazing group of women & men I have known a long time -- one since we were 5 years old, many from junior high & high school and a few from my  just after-college years in Boston.  And if they can't call me up to do lunch, then maybe it's time for me to reach out to them on a more regular basis.  Hence the beginnings of "Monday Musings."  A way to reach out.  And given the way my thoughts expand when I do yoga, I'm sure lots of things will occur to me to muse about.

Feel free to leave a comment.  I do love making new friends!


1 comment:

KENT said...

I miss Disneyland too at times.