Monday, August 31, 2009

Moving In

As I was driving home from Boston, I realized what a great post this day would be. The only thing missing were the photos. I really am going to have to carry my camera with me and just take more pics! Luckily I have taken lots of photos of Boston. I also took lots of photos of the apts I scoped out for my daughter, and while they don't exactly illustrate this story, (no moving vans), they show a little of this very pretty city.

Dogwood at The Public Garden

There are 47 colleges and universities in the Boston area. This includes small schools few have heard of and world-class institutions, like MIT.* These schools have a combined student population of 374,000 according to ask jeeves.com.

Fountain & Courtyard at the public library

When my husband and I were newly married and had just moved to Boston we discovered we didn't need a calendar to know when Aug 31st/ Sept 1st rolled around. All we needed to do was notice when the streets were completely clogged with U-Haul vans!

The view out of our first apartment

Not much has changed since then. Well, maybe a few more college students, and Penske vans have been added to the mix. But if I had forgotten the date today, I was quickly reminded. I would guess half those students are moving out or moving into a new apartment, house or dorm.


Everyone has heard of "Boston drivers." I've gotten used to them. Heck, there are times I completely qualify. And ya know, it's a little heady to dart in and out of traffic without denting my car or harming a pedestrian. If done well, one might even avoid being honked at. NOT.

The public alleys in Back Bay are really cool.

Luckily I was not driving a large van. I stopped by IKEA on my way up to Boston. We purchased a bed last weekend. Sadly a piece was broken so I returned it. I had hoped to exchange it, but the bed was out of stock. Seems the Boston area IKEA did a $2,000,000 business last weekend! Yes, that's right, 2 million dollars. Lots of college students, lots of new apartments! No wonder my girl's bed was out of stock.

Fireplace in her new bedroom

They think the bed will be in stock at the end of the week, so I'll make another trip to IKEA, help her haul it up to her 4th floor walk-up (pant, huff, take a breath!) and help her put it together.



* what? I should have mentioned Hahvahd? nah, my dad's an engineer, MIT it is, even if he didn't attend there.

10 comments:

Mary Green said...

LOL - My dad had to go to Harvard - he couldn't get into MIT. Of course, he didn't tell us that when we were young...

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Yes Marilee, this IS a great post! Your photos are wonderful and makes me wish I could visit Boston soon. I'm sure I would love all of the history the area has to offer!!! One day...oh one day I'll be able to make it up north! ;)

I love all of your travels! Thanks for taking me to New York too!!!

Can't wait to meet you at Silver Bella in November~

everything vintage

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

It's all those "Bahston" bike couriers that make me hold my breath! lol

Rose Brier Studio said...

That is so funny Mary! Did you know the guys on NPR's "Car Talk" went to MIT? Puts it into persective, don't you think?!

Oh man, Louise, I know what you mean. The BU students on Comm Ave make me hold my breath!

Jodie, Louise would probably also help show you around. Call first, lol!

Susan said...

My dad went to MIT!

Elyse said...

i am attempting to read this lovely post while my sons are outside fighting and i keep intervening from the window -- LOL (?)

is your daughter going to harvard?!

boston is such a beautiful city. we took the boys to the aquarium last winter and by the time we'd left, the sky was dark and you could see the cool clock tower perfectly.

i used to get my hair cut on tremont. best blow-out ever! cary at liquid hair.

i could go on ...

xo

Lori said...

i love your pictures of Boston...cute post too...but the last post really caught my eye...it is my dream to see tinsel trading in person one day...how lucky that you got to go!!!



ps: did you ever sell that blue place setting...i have been thinking about it

shabbyscraps said...

wow, it has been awhile since I was in boston, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Love the fireplace!
xoxo, Tiffany

Stephenie said...

What an amazing post.. I've always wanted to make a trip to Boston.. Your pictures look amazing.. Hope you had a blast.. Glad you're back..
STephenie

The Wrought Iron Gate said...

Hi Marilee, I've traveled all around the world, but I've never been to Boston! Hubby and I have been tossing around the idea of a meandering trip up the Eastern coast. Your post makes me want to take that trip SOON.

footnote: WICKED was......wicked good! A must see.

Best Wishes,
Kay