Thursday, October 13, 2016

Toulouse Walking Tours

I discovered Penny Dickinson's tours online -- click on her name to learn more.  Two years ago I took the "Key Sights" tour.  We walked 3 kilometers in two hours and saw a large part of Toulouse.  This year I contacted Penny to see if there might be a tour while I was in the city.  As it turns out, she offered the "Beyond The Postcard" tour.  It is also two hours, but covers only 2 km, as there is a lot going on in this old part of the city.  Much history to learn and wonderful architecture.  I am so delighted I was able to take this tour and visit with Penny again.


This shop sells ballet things.
It's not really part of the tour, but the window display is so clever!  They sent out a request for women to send in their pointe shoes.  Each pair of shoes notes the name and age of the person who wore these ballet shoes.  The ballerinas range in age from 14 to 88 years old!

And now the amazing architecture:



Home to a wealthy resident of the 16th Century
The brick wall around the inner courtyard is curved, not an easy task for bricklayers!


I think somewhere in that frieze there are lambs, rams, sheep!


One of only a few half-timbered structures left in Toulouse.
They were banned centuries ago because they burned so easily and took the neighbor's homes with them!


 
Cathedral St-Etienne.
On the walking tour we only saw the outside, but I returned the next day and the inside is beautiful.

I have friends who are able to post everyday while on trips.  I have no idea how they do it.  This trip is so full of adventures that I can barely catch my breath, let along blog.  Still I am committed to sharing the trip, so next post continues my rambles in Toulouse.
Thanks for coming along!



No comments: