Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Field Trip

Tiffany at Shabby Scraps proposed taking field trips in our local areas and posting about them on Fridays. I loved the idea and figured I would do it in the Spring when it was easier to get out and more shops were open. But today I was driving past this beautiful sight,

and had to stop to take pictures.



This pond is on Cape Cod in Yarmouth, Massachusetts. I don't know its name and it isn't named on the maps. It looks like a kettle pond and is between Mill Pond and Follins Pond on the Northeast side of town.



This pond was covered by ice last week, when we had 20 degree weather.
This week it feels a little like Spring and the pond is thawing out.


Now is actually a great time to discover some of the 96 ponds there are on Cape Cod. When Spring and Summer arrive, some of these ponds become secret gems that you have to know are there because the leaves and lush growth will completely hide them! I love the look of the ice next to the thawed areas, and the way the light hits both!


Much as been said and written about "Cape light," which has this magical quality to it. We are surrounded by water: Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod Bay, Nantucket Sound, and the Atlantic Ocean.

And if, like me, you grew up with the sun setting on water, there are places here, even tho it is on the east coast, where the sun still sets on water.

2 comments:

The Wrought Iron Gate said...

What an enchanting place! Your photos are a wonderful study of light and shadow. I do see the magical fairy lights in the last photograph. I'm looking forward to future visits to ROSE BRIER STUDIO. Thank you for sharing your photos....and thank you for the lovely comment that you left for me.

Enjoy your weekend,
Kay

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sorry if I missed your link! I have you on there now, and your post is beautiful! That water is so calming and soothing, I love it!
xoxo, Tiffany