Saturday, October 17, 2009

Its All About Me

To see Natasha's post and the other participants, CLICK here!

When I signed up for this blog party, I had no idea what I would do. I just knew it would be good to do something for me.

Then my local scrapbooking store sent an email telling me about a day long crafting event called "Stamptoberfest." The projects looked terrific, and I signed up, realizing it was the perfect "all about me" day! For more about fun activities, check out {creative chick headquarters} These are some of the wonderful ladies behind the day.


My schedule.
It was a great day. There were 5 teachers/5 classes. The students were divided into groups and went from one table to the next.


There were signs for each station, but I'm afraid this is the only one I snapped. Once we got going it was fast & intense and I was just glad to keep up.


My Tin Woman


We used plastic templates and rubbed the metal over them to add designs, then sand papered it to bring out the details. Because each class section was just 45 minutes, the teachers did a lot of prep work, including covering the legs with dictionary pages & painting the boots, arms, wings.


This is Erin & Melissa M.
Melissa taught my next class. We made a very wonderful pin out of a stamped image and swarovski crystals. You notice there is no photo? I gave the pin to my daughter and forgot to take a snap. I'm pretty sure she likes it, as it is a paisley shape and autumnal colors.
I loved how it turned out.

Erin took lots of photos of the day, staffed the register & rang the bell to keep us all on track.
She teaches at Colorful Creations for other events.


I always thought making charms was difficult. You had to solder and probably burn yourself (I have worked with glue guns and know about burns) and maybe have 2-handed coordination (I'm so awfully right handed).
NOT SO!

We got 3 kits for charms. We had time to make 2 and the one above is awaiting me.

These are the charms we made.
I learned how to use distress stamp pads to color tags & how to put these charm pieces together (no soldering needed). The teachers are so creative. The little charm on the left has tiny beads, starfish & shell shaking around. The fishnet was a great touch.


The next class was twice the time so we could make a tag book.

My finished book

I'll tell you a secret. The metal pieces the ribbon is strung thru are one of those mothers of invention things. I made a mess punching the holes and ripped the cover. Those metal pieces were part of the kit, I string & glued them and viola, no tears showing!

Inside of Tag Book.

Tags in a row.


No drawing required!
This was all done with stamps, watercolor pens & brush.


Thank you Natasha for hosting this lovely party. I had such a good time at my day of art. I learned lots of new techniques. I discovered my ArtBin is useless for holding supplies at this kind of event, and if I can swing it, I want to get a better camera for Silver Bella. Who would guess so much great knowledge would come out of planning a day all about me?

22 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Everything looks so LOVELY!!! Those charms are gorgeous, and I love the fishnetting you used! ;) I've driven past that shop but never went in... looks like I'm really missing out!

Rose Brier Studio said...

Louise, next time I do something like this, I'll call and invite you. It would be fun to do this with a friend.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to take some time just for you - this looks like it was a super fun day and you have some beautiful results to show for it!

Lori said...

Marilee, how fun!!! we don't have any places around here that offer those kinds of classes...wish we did...your projects all turned out so cute...i really love your charms!!!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thank goodness you did! Joyous creations and I love learning these fun tips! Blessings.

LiLi M. said...

Ah this certainly was a ME day for you, I would love to have a day like this too, but like Lori, there aren't this kind of classes over here. I love what you made, you had quite a productive day! Nice to meet you!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

OH, you had fun!! I love everything but I think the necklaces are my favorite. :0) Now that you've done this for yourself maybe you'll make it a regular event!!

Please stop to see me!
Hugs,
Stephanie

Connie said...

I'm just astounded at the talent I'm seeing today with this party, sugar! And yours is wonderful also. Nice to meet you.
xoxo,
Connie

Vintage Blue Studio said...

What a wonderful day! All the projects came out wonderful. I really love the charms and the tag book.

Cola's Cottage said...

Wow! You had a wonderful ME day! You are so lucky to have taken a class like that and you did an awesome job! I especially love the charms and tag journal.

Hugs ~ Nichole

Elyse said...

GASP!

how awesome! love the projects and the day o' fun! is this the place in hyannis? (if so i nearly collapsed when i walked inside -- great selection)

enjoy YOUR wonderful creations!

xo

Pearl Maple said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time with stamptoberfest, good excuse to play with pretty paper and trims.

Natasha Burns said...

Marilee this looks like SO much fun! I love love love your tin woman, as well as everything else you created at Stamptoberfest! What a fab name, lol! Bet you had an amazing time creating. So glad you joined in!

Jeanne said...

Your projects turned out beautifully! Love those charms and tags! It's nice to make something for ourselves, isn't it?
xo
jeanne

GerryART said...

It looks as though you had a wonderful day for IT'S ALL ABOUT ME and sounds like you are ready for another.

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I love Tin Woman and your book is devine.Very beautiful ,such wonderful work.XXOO Marie Antionette

Dogwood said...

I love all your project especially the tin woman. What a fun little creation. Your book is lovely. Enjoy.

SweetScarlett said...

That class or classes was well panned out that's for sure! You got to do so many different things and your results are fab! I wish we could have seen the pin - I'll bet it was gorgeous!
Great work on all of your projects, but I must admit, the charms and tin woman are my favourites!

roseroomnz.com said...

WOW!!! The tin woman and the charms are my fave as well! What a perfect day! Rachael:)

Country Cottage Chic said...

What a lovely crafty day!

Jayne

Catherine said...

Looks like you had a fabulous day! The projects are delightful, thanks for sharing them with us.
PS...Silver Bella is oh so close, yeah baby!
Catherine

The French Bear said...

What fun!! You must have had a fabulous time, how I envy you, I love taking classes!!!
Love everything you made!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B