Thursday, April 23, 2009

Shop Girl

I spent the whole day working in my shop.

I have gotten so much support on doing this, its really wonderful. Thanks all for the positive comments. Yesterday my hairdresser, said, "Just do it! Don't think, don't analyze, just throw open the doors!" And she's right about the don't think, don't analyze part. Unfortunately I do not have enough liability insurance to throw open the doors!


I worked on this area and even got some pricing done. Most of this junk, er I mean treasures, has been moved to another part of the shop. The plan is to work on one alcove at a time and move items to where they will eventually be displayed. So far so good. The plan is to keep me from getting side-tracked.

Here's a close-up of the sideboard above. I painted it a while ago. The top was faux finished to look like marble and it looked very authentic, in soft greys and lavendars. Unfortunately I used an oil-based sealer and it turned my faux marble a very dingy yellow color. Yuck! So, I stripped the top back to primer and need to re-do it. Still faux marble is really fun -- feathers dipped in paint and everything.


Late in the afternoon I was pretty burned out, so I wandered over to my neighbors' house. She has a home-based business and shop in her house. I needed a break and I thought she would really like the photo used in yesterday's post. She came back over with me and had fun poking about. She has done a lot of display work and has invited herself to come play and do displays with me when the shop is a little closer to opening. This pic has nothing to do with anything, except there needed to be a break in the text and Amy said she likes this tin.


This is a picture I took at Paris to The Moon. I was able to attend an open house there while visiting my mom, and what an amazing shop! It is such an inspiration of cool funky and pretty items, handmade beauties and eye-catching displays.

6 comments:

The French Bear said...

You have beautiful things, treasures!!! I love the sideboard you painted, it's fantastic. You need to put and pot of coffee or whatever you want on, and a sign up that's says,"OPEN"!!!! You can do it, I know you can, think of it as an adventure, part one!!!
Good Luck sweetie!!!
Margaret B

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

You KNOW I will be there when you open (and shame on me for not going to Amy's shop yet, despite her sweet open house cards I receive at Christmastime). All this creativity around our neck of the woods, yet I've been hiding in my little hole here the whole time! =O

The Wrought Iron Gate said...

Your ROSE BRIER ANTIQUES sign looks great.....and Oh my, didn't the sideboard turn out beautifully?
I can tell, from the photos, that the shop will be spacious. How wonderful....You're on your way

Fondly,
Kay

Natasha Burns said...

Love the treasures and your sign out the front looks great! I'm sure it will all come together just perfectly!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Good luck! I used to have a shop in my studio too, if you need any tips here and there. One thing I found out, was that our home owner's insurance, American Family, covered the shop too, and I didn't need another policy.

lisa said...

Have fun with your shoppe. I had a shoppe when I live in MN called Tickled Pink Home and Garden. It was so much fun and a lot of work; but all worth the rewards. Show us more pictures soon......and thanks for stopping by my blog.